May 3, 2023
Diapason creative - May 2023
The generative and creative AI explosion is here to stay.
The prompt to image hype of mid 2022, driven by the likes of Midjourney, was not just a hype after all.
It was a first step in a bullet-train race which reached the conversational AI station in late 2022.
Now the train has split into a set of gigantic pinball multiballs, causing havoc across all industries.
What about music creation? What about the music industry?
AI-generated music has won prestigious awards, but only in AI-specific competitions. (So far).
But last week - how timely - the #drakegate flipped over this status quo.
What does this mean? Is this the inflection point where music eventually join images and text in this crazy train?
Looking forward to discussing all these questions and more! We will:
- Catch up with some of our friends from the 2022 UNSW AI #CreativeAI_Sydney and explore how much this train has advanced since.
- Hear about the fears and hopes of reflective practitioners, present and emerging.
Before engaging in these discussions, we will follow Frank Zappa’s advice about architecture and dance, and treat you with two musical performances involving various forms of creative AI.
Roger and Sandy from Australysis, the “doyens of computerised music” according to the Sydney Morning Herald, will perform a piece for computer and saxophone.
Ollie and I will then be joined by other practitioners for the #nofilter discussion panel that will conclude the formal part of the event.
- Midjourney, A white and metal robot musician playing the left-handed violin. (That gave the sinister one. The more friendly one is a copy from the Spark festival website. I like the ‘friend or foe’ contrast, not dissimilar to the opinions about AI lol).
- Midjourney, The Pinball Wizard
- Midjourney, https://www.discrepancy-records.com.au/assets/full/WC-824302385111.jpg?20220610230328 + a pencil sketch of Frank Zappa –version 5 –iw 1.3